KNOW A DOG IN NEED OF RESCUE?
DREAM’s mission is to help dachshunds in need, and our priority is to rescue dogs who are in shelters or animal control facilities that euthanize. Each week, we receive multiple requests for help. However, in some cases we are able to help a family who can no longer keep their dachshund. Our first step will be to talk with you about what’s going on; sometimes we can mentor you to find help that will solve the problem and allow you to keep your dog. (We’ve seen it all!)
If you need to find a new home for your dachshund, we suggest the following:
1. List the dog yourself on https://rehome.adoptapet.com/. This is a wonderful site for individuals needing to find new homes for their dachshunds, without putting your dog through the stress of rescue or a shelter. Ask for a rehoming fee to discourage individuals with not so noble intentions.
2. Offer to keep the dog while DREAM (or another rescue) helps you to find your dog a home. We can list your dog on petfinder for you, if you can provide proof that it is spayed or neutered.
3. A large limitation in taking in a new dog is funds. If you can take care of any vetting needs your dog has before turning him or her over, that would be extremely helpful. This website is a great source for low-cost vetting options.
It is important to realize that if you do take your dog to a county animal control facility, the dogs who are turned in by their owners are the first dogs euthanized. (Most facilities have a 3-5 day holding period in case a lost dog’s family comes forward. In the case of an owner surrender, there is no need to wait.)
If you need to request that DREAM take in your dog to its foster program, to find it a PERMANENT new home, contact our intake coordinator at email@example.com
MY DOG NEEDS VETERINARY CARE, BUT I CAN'T AFFORD IT.
The following links provide information on low-cost veterinary programs in the Atlanta area, and on how to get financial help for vet bills:
1. General vet services: www.wellpethumane.com
2. General vet services: http://www.petvetinc.com/
3. Free spay/neuter: http://agr.georgia.gov/dog-cat-sterilization-program.aspx
4. Financial assistance: http://www.carecredit.com/